Week 2Customer Personas
I wanted to give you some more guidance with your homework item of creating your customer avatar...
The goal here is to create a fictional person that all your content can speak to. Tim Ferriss has said that when he wrote the 4 Hour Work Week, he wrote that book as if it were a GIANT email to a specific friend of his.
Recently, I talked with Amy Landino about her super successful YouTube channel, and she kept bringing up "Charlotte" – the person she "speaks" to in each of her videos.
You want to create the same for your content. Questions to ask yourself:
- Male or female?
- What age-ish?
- What do you know about them socioeconomically?
- What's going on in their lives as it relates to your topics?
- Where is their mindset? Are they confident, worried, etc.?
- What are they thinking/wanting/insecure about that you can help with?
- What is their family life like?
- What are their goals for the next 5 years?
It may be easiest to build this persona around one of your existing clients or friends. I built my customer avatar for Freelancing School around an actual student (attached).
Week 4Intro to Keyword Research and SEO
This week I wanted to cover at a basic level how search engine rankings work.
This video will show you how to identify keywords worth targeting and how to think about keyword competition.
- You want to think first of topics your avatar cares about
- Use a keyword research tool to find keywords or phrases related to those topics
- Choose keywords or phrases that are low competition and also have some search volume
Next week I'll cover more about actually creating content based upon those keywords.